Sunday, September 18, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday

Right now, I'm in the process of reviewing my Gothnowrimo project.  It started as Prompt #8 over at The Chrysalis Experiment and quickly spiraled out of control.  For about a month, it was hard to even think about anything else.  I used to dream about these characters.  The idea was inspired by a) incredibly bad weather b) Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca c) Alfred Hitchock's Rebecca.  (Detect a theme?)

While I've read other gothic novels, I think that Rebecca was the book that really taught me what the gothic novel was--an unsure, but personable heroine, an untouchable Byronic-type hero, a gorgeous, but very spooky and isolated house, lots of mystery, religious/supernatural overtones, heightened language, over-exaggerated physical reactions (fainting, fevers, hallucinations, etc), constant portents of doom, lots of surprise twists and misdirection.

Anyway, here's a six sentence sneak peak at that project for Six Sentence Sunday:

My new sister valued closeness more than I did. The way she was hovering over me felt indecent. Ama had barely touched me all of these years. “She never said anything about you. It was Mr. MacAfee that told me that I had a sister.”

“You found out about your mo—sister from a lawyer?”


~The Bearskin's Wife

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I'd love to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very interesting--'your mo-sister'? What's that all about? Hmmm. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited about this! Like jumping on furniture--excited.

    Yep, Anais had a little slip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heeey! Nice! Lawyers do like to hear themselves talk, do they not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved that first line! Really tells you a lot about her!

    ReplyDelete